Secret Extensions Hair Extensions Review
• Goes on quickly
• Readily available in stores
• Blends well for some hair types
• Adjustable head band
• Band breakage renders product useless
• May require multiple extensions to achieve a full look
Reviews of Secret Extensions, a hair extension product pitched by Daisy Fuentes. This product has been advertised regularly since early 2014. How well do they work and are they worth the cost?
This product offers the benefit of extensions which is as easy as slipping a headband over the user’s head. It has been promoted on television since early 2014 with commercials featuring Daisy Fuentes. The official product website is secretextensions.com, while the Spanish-language version is comprasecretextensions.com.
Cost and Availability
Secret Extensions cost $39.99 plus $6.99 P&H for a total of $46.98. You can add another set for $29.99 with no additional shipping, bringing that total to $76.97. In 2015 Secret Extensions were rolled out to stores such as Target and Bed Bath and Beyond, typically found in the As Seen on TV section. They sell for about $30-$40.
Claims and Features
- Unique headband design allows for easy application and removal
- Made of polyester (they refer to it as a Keratin-conditioned fiber in the advertising)
- Can be cut to work with shorter hair
- 16 inches in length
- Can be washed
- Available in 11 colors
- 30 day money back guarantee, as long as it has not been removed from the packaging.
Secret Extensions Commercial
The commercial below aired throughout most of 2014, often on high-profile channels such as MTV. A Spanish-language version has also been running on Telemundo. It was posted to YouTube in January 2014.
Soon after Secret Extensions began advertising in early 2014, reviews trickled in at first. Most of those early complaints were in regards to shipping and “back order” status. After the product’s shipping concerns were alleviated, reviews focused more on the merits of the product itself.
Secret Extensions offers a unique design which allows the product to be applied in seconds. In theory, this seems superior to common clip-in extensions. There have been reviewers online who have expressed a positive experience with Secret Extensions. It has been suggested that those with shoulder length hair using multiple Secret Extensions gain the most dramatic effect.
The following complaints have been compiled from reviews around the internet.
- Band. If the elastic band breaks, there is no option but to replace the extension. Some have also reported that the band feels loose and keeps slipping, or was difficult to hide with certain hair types.
- Volume. Perhaps the most common complaint is that one set of Secret Extensions is often seen as insufficient because they are too thin for many users.
- Shedding. Some consumers have said that brushing the extensions leads to hair falling out more easily than expected. It has been suggested that it may be better to brush the extensions before wearing them.
A good example of how the product may work for some but not others can be found in the review by YouTube star Graveyard Girl. She concluded that “I don’t think that they are terrible, but I can’t say I’m 100% thrilled with the color that I got, and it kind of makes the ends of my natural hair look a little bit stringier because they’re longer…” Commenters for that video pointed out that hair length affected their satisfaction with the product.
Secret Extensions is a product which has been met with some negative reviews, but the product’s unique design continues to draw interest from consumers who seek a more convenient alternative to traditional extensions. The fact that it continues to be advertised nearly two years after it was first introduced shows that consumes continue to purchase the product despite these negative reviews.
Satisfaction with the product varies wildly based on hair type and length, along with consumer expectations. Now that you can find it in stores, you may want to evaluate them in person before making your final decision.
If you’ve used Secret Extensions, let us hear from you in the comments below.
This review has been updated since its original publication in December 2014.